Over the last few weeks I've been working on a new website that is one big online course. So the logical thing was to look at the latest versions of the LMS plugins that are out there.
If you've been on the site before, you know I've spent some considerable time reviewing them.
But here's the thing – the site I'm building doesn't need any of the following:
- No need for multiple courses – it's just one big course
- No need for quizzes – it's just videos and text
- No need for certificates – you just get access to content
So then, the question is – what makes this an online course? What do I need? And my answer is pretty simple:
- I need a way to let people pay to get access to my material
- I need a way to protect posts with text and video on them
- I need a way slowly drip content (groups of posts each week)
When you think about it that way, suddenly you realize that maybe what I need is a membership plugin more than a WordPress LMS plugin, right?
So there you have it – by simply using iThemes Exchange, along with their membership add-on, I can build the course easily and launch it without much trouble.